Brown rice pilaf contains nutrient rich mushrooms. Some facts about mushrooms include:
They are low GI: Mushrooms help keep your blood glucose levels in a healthy and normal range.
Help maintain healthy blood pressure: Due to its potassium content and nil sodium content, mushrooms are a fantastic for your heart health
Maintain healthy weight: Mushrooms are low in calories and are also known to help curve the appetite
So add a few to any dish you to get of its health benefits today!
3 small kumara (sweet potatoes) chopped into cubes
cooking oil spray
4 ½ cups of low-salt vegetable stock
2 tsp oil
2 brown onions finely chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 trimmed celery stalks finely chopped
200g mushrooms coarsely chopped
2 ¼ cups brown medium grain rice
2-3 tbsp lemon rind
¾ cup loosely-packed parsley leaves
- Preheat oven 180 degrees. Place kumara on lightly-oiled oven tray
- Spray with oil and roast uncovered for 20-30 minutes until tender
- Bring stock to boil in medium saucepan, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes
- Heat oil in medium saucepan. Cook onion, garlic and celery, stirring until onion softens. Add mushrooms and rice, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 50 minutes or until stock is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Add more stock if necessary.
- Gently stir in kumara, rind and parsley. Serve topped with parsley.
Energy 2583 kJ (617 Cal)
Protein 14g (9%)
Carbohydrates 122g (83%)
Fat 6g (8%)